St. John’s is one of the earliest European settlements in North America and is the capital and largest city in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It’s rich history, distinct tradition, vibrant culture, and location along the coast of Atlantic Ocean, has made St. John one of the top ocean-side tourist destinations.
St. John tourism is a significant contributor to the economy, with 1.6 million tourists visiting the city in 2016. Cruise ship line segment accounts for high spikes in number of tourists visiting the city for a day during a condensed two month season. Thus, 66 cruise ships dropped anchor and approximately 144,000 passengers and 57,700 crew visited the city in September-October 2016.
Saint John’s tourism growth is projected based on the city’s ability to increase the number of visitors and maximize their direct spend, this can be achieved by providing excellent service, authentic and satisfying experiences in a homelike atmosphere. The biggest challenge the city of Saint John faced was hosting large numbers; up to 12,000/day visitors coming onshore from cruise ships, including
- Inform tourists, showcase activities, events, amenities of Saint John
- Assist visitors with planning their short stay
- Help them make decisions based on their interests
- While maximizing spend per tourist
INITIAL APPROACH—MISSED OPPORTUNITY:
Saint John administration set the goal to empower technology and provide tourists with an easy and convenient way to navigate their city and get the most out of their trip.
The city of Saint John partnered with a technology provider to develop a mobile app to enable tourists to explore the city once they arrive. Visitors coming onshore were offered to download an app that would provide them with all the information Saint John has to offer during their stay. While tremendous effort and a sizeable chunk of the budget were spent, the app didn’t receive wide acceptance among tourists based on a low number of downloads:
- Visitors experienced roaming charges. Downloading an app would translate into additional cost
- Tourists had a difficulty downloading an app while on a roaming network. Wi-Fi was only available at one cruise ship terminal
- Guests were reluctant to download a one-time app on their phone
- They didn’t find it convenient to explore the city via a small screen of a smartphone
- Rated as “not really helpful” (Google play)
SOLUTION: TRANSFORMING THE EXPERIENCE:
The city of Saint John reached out to Qwick Media for a turnkey solution. The Qwick Media team has successfully developed and implemented a customized, interactive solution. As a result, attractive custom-made and branded self-service information kiosks with intuitive user interfaces and several digital signage displays were strategically placed in Saint John, all connected and managed remotely with a cloud based content management software. Visitors can select, reserve and pay for selected events and attractions.
- 6 custom-made and branded self-service information kiosks
- multiple digital signage screens incorporated in the network
- connected and managed remotely with an easy to use management software
Content Management Software (CMS) by Qwick Media has the capability of connecting an unlimited number of self-service kiosks and digital displays into one seamlessly integrated network with one point of management. The CMS allows instant updates of the content displayed on the screens.
The built-in analytical tool evaluates kiosk user behavior and translates it into valuable data. The CMS analytics make data collection and analysis quick and easy assisting management in strategic planning.
User Interface developed by Qwick Media is based on research and analysis of tourist current behavioral trends and buying preferences. Intuitive, appealing and easy to use, it invites visitors to explore Saint John by navigating through 6 major categories: Upcoming events, Shopping, Accommodations, Things to do, Dining, Visitor information, as well as an Accessibility Control feature.
- Date, time, weather feed
- Multi-media slider, customized video or image rotation set at specific intervals. Potential for revenue generation, special offer promotion
- Keyword search feature
- Intuitive menu, vivid graphics, multilingual
- Accessibility feature
- Category description
- Search filters
- Things to do
- Activity description
- Action options
- Contact information
- Payment options
- Live feed of date, weather time
- Tide information
- Multimedia gallery
Wall Mount Self-Service Information Kiosk Option
As a result, the city of Saint John gained immediate benefits:
- Maximizing revenue per tourist
- Allowing visitors select, reserve and pay for selected events and attractions
- Eliminating brochure racks
- Promoting Saint John, control advertised content in real time
- Making data driven decisions with built in analytical tools
- Bringing events, attractions, and amenities to visitors’ fingertips
Qwick Media implemented a full-service turnkey project; from concept design, engineering, software development, manufacturing management, assembly, and installation. Additionally, Qwick Media trained Saint John personnel on the self-service kiosk exploitation and software usage.
• Gather intelligence
• Develop solution plan
• Attractive kiosk development
• Kiosk manufacturing/ sourcing
• Content development
• Customer support
Among many self-service technology providers and various offerings on the market, it is essential to select a reliable partner with the capability to deliver a solution that achieves the goals you have set.
Qwick Media is well positioned to work with you to design and deliver solutions that enhance your visitor’s experience.